brainstorming for UDS-N - Performance

Ameet Paranjape ameet.paranjape at canonical.com
Thu Sep 30 15:18:26 BST 2010

On 09/29/2010 01:43 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Allison Randal wrote on 28/09/10 21:11:
>>
>> The Performance track is about measurable speed improvements and also
>> about snappy, responsive user experience, across all editions of
>> Ubuntu, from older hardware to high-efficiency devices, and from boot
>> experience through common user-facing applications and tools.
>>
>> What's high on your list for this area?
>
> Measurement. Where can I go to see the equivalent of Firefox's
> <http://arewefastyet.com/>  for Ubuntu startup speed? Where's the
> equivalent graph for Ubiquity? For Unity?For Ubuntu Software Center?

Hi Matthew,

FYI - Boot speed metrics for Ubuntu, UNE (Unity), and Kubuntu daily
builds are kept here [1].  The QA team has been collecting these numbers
for Maverick and reporting the regression analysis data during the
Friday release meetings.

A discussion of the data collected and presented in [1] might be a
beneficial topic.  It may help other teams trying to get similar metrics
because as you mentioned, it would be beneficial to see performance
numbers of other applications across daily builds and previous releases.

[1] - http://people.canonical.com/~ameetp/BootChart.html

Ameet Paranjape				ameet.paranjape at canonical.com
Canonical, Ltd.				    ameetp [irc.freenode.net]