Ubuntu 11.04 Translations Plans

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Sep 28 17:19:10 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 07:17:49PM +0200, David Planella wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the Community team at Canonical we are now starting to lay out the
> plans for the 11.04 roadmap for translations.
>
> For this, we really value your input and would very much like to take
> your ideas and feedback into account.
>
> One of the key areas I'd like to work on in this cycle, for instance, is
> outreach: we want to bang the drum and get people excited and involved
> in translations.
>
> What are your thoughts and ideas? What do you think we should focus on?

I've a couple of ideas that are probably _very_ expensive to implement:

  * Let me switch the desktop language at runtime without logging out.
    (This probably needs changes in Gtk+ so that various widgets store
    the msgid + domain + parameter values instead of a composed string;
    otherwise each application would have to listen for "language
    changed" signals and then re-create/reconfigure all the widgets)

  * Allow me to click on a label in a running application and then show
    me where that bit of text comes from (msgid + domain); for bonus
    points let me edit it right here, preview directly in the app, and
    then submit an updated translation back to Rosetta.

My point of view is that of a user, who is mostly interested in fixing
translation errors (or adding missing translations) noticed during
normal use.  Rosetta's current full-text search is very nice for that,
if you can find the right translation file to edit.  Finding the right
translation file is a bit daunting.  search-ubuntu-translations from
lp:~ubuntu-translations-coordinators/ubuntu-translations/ubuntu-i18n
sometimes helps.

One of my biggest current irritations is the long feedback cycle after I
fix a translation in Rosetta and before I get to see it on my desktop.
Is there a PPA perhaps, with daily language packs?

Marius Gedminas
--
"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more security
than wiping with decimal values."