brainstorming for the UDS-N session list

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Sep 29 02:21:59 BST 2010

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 03:28:49 pm Allison Randal wrote:
> UDS-N is just around the corner. We're starting to build up the list of
> sessions to schedule, and want to collect community thoughts on where to
> focus in 11.04. As usual, there's far more to talk about than we can fit
> in one week, and far more possibilities to work on than we can fit in
> one 6 month cycle. Your input is enormously valuable, to highlight areas
> and issues that will have the biggest impact across the whole community,
> and sort by priority.
>
> To help conversation flow (and help the track leads focus on their
> topics) I'll kick off a separate email thread for each planned track,
> explaining what it's about, so you can hang your comments on that
> thread. The UDS team has taken a different approach to the schedule this
> year, and instead of tracks organized by teams (Desktop, Server, etc)
> they'll be organized by themes (http://uds.ubuntu.com/tracks/).
> Hopefully, this will inspire a lot of healthy cross-pollination of ideas
> and people.
>
> Thanks for the advance participation in UDS!
> Allison

I would like to see some work on the traditional server boot experience.  It
regressed significantly in Lucid and has gotten some improvement in Maverick,
but I don't think it's had a good looking over by server admins.  For server
admins a logo is not what it beautiful.  Information about what's going on
with their system is what tends to delight them.  Myself, if I'm booting a
server where I can see the boot it's for trouble shooting and so I like it to
be a bit chatty.  What is "good" is in many respects the opposite of what
makes a good desktop boot.

I'm not sure what track this goes in.

Scott K