brainstorming for UDS-N - Hardware Compatibility

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Sep 29 02:18:37 BST 2010

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 03:33:29 pm Allison Randal wrote:
> The Hardware Compatibility track is about supporting the widest possible
> selection of hardware, in an easy-to-use fashion (GUI tools, avoiding
> manual configuration, etc), with sane default settings.
>
> What's high on your list for this area?
> Allison

I can now, if I just know to run Jockey, get wireless networking in a live
session with restricted drivers.  We have a question for installing restricted
drivers during install, but no prompt to the user during the live session
(it's possible this limitation only applies to the KDE installer, I didn't try
it in Gnome).  Since the installation experience is now significantly enhanced
if done with an active internet connection, I would like to see us push to the
user the choice to have wifi during a live or installation session if
restricted drivers are needed for it.

For that common hardware that I typically use/support there aren't really any
major issues outside the X stack in recent releases.

Scott K