tool for getting changes between versions of a package

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 23 16:07:49 BST 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Steven Harms wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Have you already taken a look at 'debdiff' ?

Well, yes, I was aware of debdiff.
I guess I should have provided more info.  The end goal, would be to take
2 manifests, and produce a changelog of A => B.

I was hoping that I could do so without downloading debs, it seems like
all I need is the (full) changelogs.
I was hoping I could dig it out of launchpad somehow.

So, say:
- adduser 3.112ubuntu1
+ adduser 3.112ubuntu2
- apparmor-utils 2.5-0ubuntu3
+ apparmor-utils 2.5-0ubuntu5

- for each binary package, i have to get the source package
  I figure this is available somewhere on launchpad, but haven't dug
  around exactly.
- for each source package, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apparmor
  has data on the most recent changelog entry, but would incomplete
  if the differences in the manifest spanned 2 version updates.

  I could pull lp:ubuntu/<src>/<srcpackage>, or alternatively yank it from
the web view:
  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/<release>/<src-package>/<repo>/annotate/head%3A/debian/changelog

- one way or another, if I could grab the complete changelog entry, I can
  locally parse out the differences, although i'm guessing that there is
  some tool that can take a debian/changelog and dump the changes from
  version-1 to version-2

In short, the big thing I forgot to mention was that I didn't want to
download debs for every package that changed.