FFe: migrate to ibus-1.3 series

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 2 14:22:06 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 19:52 +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
> I think this topic worth a discussion, serious memory leak is found in
> an important CJK support part that included to LTS CD images but is hard
> to get it fixed.

Is the memory leak really that serious? Bug report mentions "130MB over
few days", I wouldn't call that serious - especially that there are at
least two simple workarounds: Shut down your computer when you go to
sleep/home or restart process.

If we really don't have active maintainers for ibus stack in Ubuntu
backporting whole stack to Lucid may be risky - we can introduce
regressions that aren't as easily worked around as the memory leak
itself.
There are 12 different ibus dependant packages, would all of them have
to be updated? Some are probably used only be a small number of people -
will they get enough testing for regressions once the land in -proposed?

And also is 1.3 going to be supported by upstream for a longer time or
are we going to have the same problem if some bug is discovered in 1.3
and upstream suggests updating to 1.4?

Does #625696 affect 10.04? It's not mentioned in the report, #329898
does look like something that would be nice to get fixed but again - is
it important enough to risk regressions?

Cheers,
 KK