Boost library proposal for Natty

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Oct 18 18:59:44 BST 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:19:25 am Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:30:00AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Boost1.42 is default in Debian Sid/Squeeze and what we have in Main for
> > Maverick.  Boost1.43 and 1.44 have been released upstream, but are not
> > packaged in Debian.  Additionally, we carried boost1.40 in Universe in
> > Maverick so that we would have a boost that built the openmpi parts of
> > the library.
>
> Rather than carrying boost1.40 in universe, would it make sense to provide
> a separate boost1.42-mpi source package that generates only the mpi
> packages for universe?  Would this be notably better for security support,
> and/or benefit users of MPI by having these packages on the same upstream
> version as everything else?  If this is the only remaining reason for
> boost1.40 to exist anywhere, it seems to me that the one-time packaging
> changes to have everything using boost1.42 might be a win.
>
> Thanks,

This seemed like a good idea and turned out not to be that hard, so I've just
uploaded boost-mpi-source1.42 to cover this.  Everyone please be aware that
boost$VER and boost-mpi-source$VER need to keep the same version, so if you
update one, you need to update them together.

It would be useful if someone with some free time and Python skills could have
a look a merge-o-matic and have it use boost$VER as the merge source for bost-
mpi-source$VER as well.  That would help with keeping them in sync.

Scott K