Auto Bug Expiry on Launchpad

Deryck Hodge deryck.hodge at canonical.com
Fri Oct 15 14:31:38 BST 2010

Hi, all.

I'm sure many of you may have heard by now, but we're getting close to
re-enabling automatic bug expiry on Launchpad.  There's a post about
this on the Launchpad blog:

http://blog.launchpad.net/general/enabling-automatic-bug-expiry

What do you mean "re-enabling"?
-------------------------------

Launchpad has always advertised that we auto-expire inactive
incomplete bugs, but we haven’t done this for awhile now.  Some
developers are using their own launchpadlib scripts which set bug
tasks to the EXPIRED status based on the same criteria that Launchpad
will use.

These individual scripts will no longer be needed once we re-enable
auto expiry on Launchpad itself.

What does this means for Ubuntu?
--------------------------------

Ubuntu is already configured to take advantage of automatic expiry.
Next week, we will do a few test runs of the script that expires bugs.
 We will start with a full run on our staging server, which will not
affect the main Launchpad site but will give us an idea if we're doing
the right thing with expiry.  We will then begin batched runs against
launchpad.net, doing runs of 100 or 200 bugs at a time.  Again, this
is to make sure we're not expiring bugs we shouldn't and to make it
easier to recover from mistakes.

Once we get through a few batched runs on launchpad.net and we're
confident we're expiring the correct bugs and everything is working
smoothly with this feature, we will set the bug expiry script to do
regular runs, expiring all eligible bug tasks with each run.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge