UDS Prep: Making it easier to fix bugs

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 15 14:42:59 BST 2010

Hello everybody,

at UDS I'd like to discuss how we can make it easier to fix bugs,
especially for new contributors.

I documented the steps that are necessary at

	http://people.canonical.com/~dholbach/Fixing%20a%20bug.png

A little legend:

   (?)		Decisions that are hard to make
   (i)		Information that is hard to find
   (hourglass)	Waiting that is necessary
   (people)	You need to know which people to 'talk to'

We all know the steps that are necessary and why they are. They are all
documented (somewhere on the wiki). Sometimes there's different choices
along the way, sometimes steps are mandatory, sometimes optional,
depending on the case and who you talk to.

When I looked at the resulting diagram I realised how incredibly hard it
is for new contributors to just "do the right thing".

What can we do to make this easier?

(If there's a mistake in the diagram or something missing, please let me
know and I'll fix it.)

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Have a great day,
 Daniel