brainstorming for UDS-N - Application Developers

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Wed Oct 6 22:18:08 BST 2010

Matthew Paul Thomas schreef op ma 04-10-2010 om 15:31 [+0100]:
> In the past four years, not one but two operating systems have each,
> starting from zero, accumulated more than 20 *times* as many
> applications as Ubuntu has. What we are doing is not working. It's
> time to try something else.

10000 wallpapers with the same adware included aren't 10000
applications...   ;-)

Also, because of the nature of how mobile phones are used, a lot of
these applications are single purpose (check program schedules for 1 TV
station) or even throwaway applications (who's gonna use the Rock
Festival XYZ 2010 app after the festival?).

If you want to encourage such applications[1], I think it would be best
to create or adopt a simple framework, maybe based on web technology
(HTML5, JavaScript, CSS3, WebGL, etc.) or a VM like Dalvik, include
automatic package creation, and preferably some sandboxed environment to
run them in.

[1] preferably minus the adware/spyware ;-)

--
Jan Claeys