Boost library proposal for Natty

Scott Kitterman scott at kitterman.com
Mon Oct 11 15:30:00 BST 2010

Boost1.42 is default in Debian Sid/Squeeze and what we have in Main for
Maverick.  Boost1.43 and 1.44 have been released upstream, but are not
packaged in Debian.  Additionally, we carried boost1.40 in Universe in
Maverick so that we would have a boost that built the openmpi parts of the
library.

My proposal for Natty is that we do ~nothing.  The Debian default of 1.42 is
unlikely to change before Natty feature freeze and so we should plan on this
being the Ubuntu default for Natty.  We should also keep a full (with MPI)
version of boost in the archive.  I would propose this stay at 1.40 unless a
newer version appears in Debian in the relatively near future.

There are still some packages using 1.40 that could migrate to 1.42.  This
transition should be finished so that dropping 1.40 when the time comes is
easy.

Comments?  Suggestions?

I'd like to get this out of the way now so that we know that all the syncs are
built against the version of boost we want to keep for Natty.  In the event
that Squeeze is released before Natty feature freeze and Debian updates to a
newer boost for default, then we'll look at the situation and re-evaluate.

Scott K