brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Oct 9 05:14:48 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Are there concrete examples of these applications for end users (no, I wouldn't
> count Launchpad to to it ;).

At Canonical alone:
 - Launchpad
 - Shipit
 - login.ubuntu.com
 - Ubuntu 1
 - qa.ubuntu.com/conflictchecker
 - probably more things

I don't know why you'd exclude Launchpad, but IS try to run all
machines on one release of Ubuntu, so anything that makes that easier
will benefit LTS migrations.

An important question is, how representative is Canonical of medium
size organisations using Ubuntu? My answer, back from when I was a
sysadmin, is -very typical-. Running an SOE makes administration
immensely easier.

> 20MB are 2% of the CD space, and I suppose an end user would care more about
> shipping something useful like a language pack, another application, but not a
> bunch of unused python modules.

So don't put it on the CD! I didn't suggest, and I don't think it
would be appropriate, to put it on the CD.

-Rob