brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Fri Oct 8 21:02:09 BST 2010

On Oct 08, 2010, at 09:55 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:

>> As a policy, I do think it makes sense for us to have one Python version
>> overlap between LTS releases.
>
>Are there concrete examples of these applications for end users (no, I
>wouldn't count Launchpad to to it ;).

That's one that I'm most familiar with ;).  But I suspect they'll probably
stick with Lucid and 2.6 for the foreseeable future (they're *almost* but not
quite fully on that platform).

Other than that, I don't have any specific examples.  What were previous
experiences?  I recall some grumblings several UDS's ago about the last LTS
and Python transition.

>20MB are 2% of the CD space, and I suppose an end user would care more about
>shipping something useful like a language pack, another application, but not
>a bunch of unused python modules.

That's a valid consideration given the CD space pressure.  Another thought is
that maybe the desktop doesn't need it, where server might.  Given the way the
packaging is done, that might not be a useful distinction though.

>> New Python releases come out approximately every 18 months.  New LTS
>> releases come out usually every two years.  I'd be surprised if we ever get
>> into a situation where we'd jump a Python release (though the migration to
>> Python 3 will make things interesting).
>
>Shipping an older non-default in an LTS means to support this one for another
>five years. that should be the exception, not the policy.
>
>No, there won't be a migration to python3 which is comparable to the
>python2.x migrations. We'll have two separate stacks, and the python2 stack
>will remain for a while.  The "migration" will be the question when to use
>which stack for the CDs. having both stacks on the CDs is not an option.

Agreed about python3 vs. python2.

>again, no. I don't want to see 3.1 in 12.04, and I think nobody will care.
>There are just too few modules supported in lucid.  It might be easier to add
>3.2 to lucid however.

Agreed.  I hope we get to the point where the Python 3 migration plan will
matter, but we're not there yet.  And by that time, no one will care about
Python 2 <wink>.

-Barry