brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Fri Oct 8 20:54:38 BST 2010

On Oct 07, 2010, at 04:48 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>If we aren't going to start with 2.7 as default (and I can understand why you
>are leary of that), I'd like to make it clear up front that the feature goal
>for Natty is to have the 2.7 transition complete by feature freeze (including
>Universe).  There will, of course, be some bugs and holes in the transition
>at that point, but it should be substantially done (a final decision to
>decide to stick with moving forward to 2.7 or revert to 2.6 as default should
>not come any later than that.

I am planning on spending a substantial amount of my time for the Natty cycle
fixing bugs related to the Python 2.7 transition, in both main and universe.
Given the above, we're talking about having the transition complete by
February 24, 2011:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyReleaseSchedule

Hopefully we'll have a very good idea before that whether we'll make it or
not.  I want to avoid leaving it as a last minute decision.

-Barry