brainstorming for UDS-N - Application Developers

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Wed Oct 6 12:23:00 BST 2010

Scott Kitterman wrote on 06/10/10 06:20:

> On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 09:19:41 am Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> For example, in Natty we'll be doing work that makes it easier to
>> visually distinguish core updates from application updates.
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdates?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=up
>> dates-list.jpg> That alone would make it much easier for someone to
>> (for example) postpone an application update to a weekend when they
>> have time to troubleshoot any problems. In future, it might even be
>> possible for them to roll back to the previous version.
>
> So it's better to accept a library update when you don't have time to
> troubleshoot?  I don't think this distinction is terribly helpful.

By spending less time on other people's applications, we could spend
more time testing fixes to Ubuntu core.

> Open Office may be a leaf application, but if I've got a presentation
> I have to get finished to give to a customer tomorrow, it's a lot more
> mission critical to me at the moment than any number of core libraries.

Exactly.

>>> The Linux distribution paradigm is different than other operating
>>> systems.  I don't think the analogy is relevant.
>>
>> I'm interested to know why.
>
> Why it's different, why it's a good thing it's different, or why
> drawing analogies from things that are substantially different has
> little relevance?

Why the difference is relevant. (I don't think it's even an analogy, but
rather a general pattern.)

> But it can't be done by fiat.  We didn't achieve the packaging system
> we have now accident and it will take good engineering work to get to
> something that is both simpler and functional.  I don't know of anyone
> that defends the current complexity of packaging as a good thing, what
> we lack is tools to to get there.  Additional theorizing that it should
> be easier, doesn't really help.

Several concrete ideas have already emerged from this discussion.
Calling them "theorizing" doesn't really help.

> Debian/changelog isn't meant for non-technical end users.  If you want
> something that is, we need something different.  The packaging
> changelog serves it's own useful purpose.  The fact that it doesn't
> also serve this purpose is not a deficiency in debian/changelog.
> That's out of scope for it.
>
> OTOH, it's difficult enough for technical people to write text that is
> sensible to non-technical users.  Please don't insist I learn some new
> markup language too.

Fair enough. We don't want to be in Microsoft's situation of waiting to
release a security update until a corresponding Knowledge Base article
has been written and translated into 23 languages.

So, one thing that might help is a log of "What this update does"
separate from debian/changelog (or maybe this can be demarcated inside
debian/changelog somehow).

Second, providing template plain-English text for maintainers to use for
different kinds of update -- even as simple as "Fixes a problem where
______ would ______" or "Fixes a security problem where an infected
document could ______".

Third, setting up a team of recognized tech writers for small tasks like
this, so someone preparing an SRU can hop into an IRC channel and get
advice on text for their update.

>> That's true. The App Review Process is a very small step.
>
> It's not a technically well founded step.  We should be doing the
> engineering of something that is suitable for a lightweight review and
> approval process before we deploy one.  The current App Review Process
> if more like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

So, given that the ARP already exists, what would a lightweight process
to replace it look like?

>> <http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-n-backports-notautomatic>
>
> That's the one.  It covers changes to the apt resolver to deal with
> dependencies in a non-automatic repository, changes to make -backports
> not automatic, and U/I to present multiple versions of packages to
> users sensibly (once backports is not automatic, they'd need to be able
> to pick if they want the stable release one or the new one from
> backports).

Ok, that seems like it would involve tweaks to the design of Update
Manager (and maybe Ubuntu Software Center too). Subscribed.

> Right, but Android Marketplace is primarily a source for external
> applications.  In a Linux distribution that isn't the case.  I
> relatively routinely run into bugs or mailing list messages  where
> people are complaining about PPA packages, so I already see this as a
> problem.  Third party applications (or changes to existing packages)
> are already too closely identified with Ubuntu.

We already distinguish "Provided by Ubuntu" vs. "Independent" in Ubuntu
Software Center. But as we accumulate independent applications, it will
become more important for USC to say *who* develops a particular
application.

- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/