brainstorming for UDS-N - Performance - disk footprint

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 6 02:25:13 BST 2010

Hi Dustin

On 05/10/2010 11:10, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> Do you really think that makes sense?
>
> I do think a split between Server-minimal and Server-deluxe makes sense.
>
> Because for every person (like you and I) that says...
>
>> etckeeper byobu and sshd enabled by default should be the default for the
>> server install, eventually asking "which VCS backend do you want to use" via
>> debconf/preseeding + asking for the location and username + password

Pretty much everyone I know install htop these days! I'd add that too
(and many more but that would just add noise for the purpose of this mail)

> Someone else will come along and say:
>
>> I think the default CD image of ubuntu-server is already oversized for a small
>> footprint of server installs.
>
> There's two conflicting camps that the current Ubuntu Server Install
> is failing to satisfy:
>  * people who want the server to be as absolutely small as possible
>  * people who want the server to be a useful set of server packages to
> base a server installation on
>
> We're currently about half way in between these two camps, and
> satisfying neither, in my opinion.

Well said! I think that's a great way of seeing it, wouldn't it perhaps
be a good start to have a debian task in the installer along with LAMP
server / SSH server /etc that says something like "Ubuntu Server
Goodies" that include things like etckeeper, buyoby, mc, htop, etc? Even
a meta-package would be ok. Would that fit into what you were thinking
about?

-Jonathan