brainstorming for UDS-N - Application Developers

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Oct 4 20:42:30 BST 2010

On Monday, October 04, 2010 03:12:15 pm Krzysztof Klimonda wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 14:31 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Monday, October 04, 2010 02:27:25 pm Krzysztof Klimonda wrote:
> > > Yes, I believe that right now those are, along with the paid Ubuntu
> > > Software Center, the most important things we can do to make Ubuntu a
> > > more viable platform for independent developers.
> >
> > Personally, I suspect that if Ubuntu becomes a platform for delivering
> > paid proprietary add-ons, it would be significantly demotivating to
> > those of us volunteering our time for free to build a FOSS operating
> > system.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> I don't see proprietary applications (add-ons? what do you mean) being
> demotivating for our community developers unless whole Ubuntu makes a
> switch to promote them and FOSS applications suffer in the process.

Should I invest my time in building a Free operating system or in things that
Ubuntu will distribute for me that I will get paid for?  If I continue to
invest my time in the Free operating system while other people profit from my
work with proprietary applications sold on Ubuntu, how much of a fool am I?

Scott K