brainstorming for UDS-N - Cloud Infrastructure

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 4 20:18:33 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 15:04 -0400, Mathias Gug wrote:
> Excerpts from Krzysztof Klimonda's message of Mon Oct 04 14:39:05 -0400 2010:
> > On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 14:36 -0400, Adam Sommer wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it would make sense to take a loot at the freeIPA project [1] and
> > its integration with Ubuntu?
> >
> > [1] http://freeipa.org/page/Main_Page
>
> There is project in LP that aims at packaging FreeIPA in Ubuntu [1].

Yes, but last time I've checked it was having difficulties - I guess not
enough developers were working on it.

> > Another project worth considering would be
> > sssd.
> >
> > [2] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/
> >

> sssd has been available in Ubuntu since the Karmic release. It's now
> available in Debian as well.

I was thinking about making it work "out of the box" with both Ubuntu
and the freeIPA (or a different service that is chosen) to make it easy
to deploy a complete replacement for Active Directory, at least for
Linux clients as I guess more software (samba4?) is needed to make a
complete clone of AD. After all it's possible to do that even today but
the amount of knowledge and knowledge plus a scattered documentation
makes it too hard.

--
Krzysztof Klimonda <kklimonda at ubuntu.com>