brainstorming for UDS-N - Application Developers

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 4 19:27:25 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:30 -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

> > In the past four years, not one but two operating systems have each,
> > starting from zero, accumulated more than 20 *times* as many
> > applications as Ubuntu has. What we are doing is not working. It's time
> > to try something else.
>
> How about a fart app contest? :)
>
> I think we need developer guidelines, a great IDE, a relatively stable
> API, documentation on how to port apps from other platforms, and an easy
> one-click submittal process.

Yes, I believe that right now those are, along with the paid Ubuntu
Software Center, the most important things we can do to make Ubuntu a
more viable platform for independent developers.

> Though, even with those things, we're not going to attract a lot of
> developers for particular applications that have great free alternatives
> built-in. One of the reasons there are so many iPhone/Android apps, is
> that the platform doesn't come by default with a wide selection.

Sure, but that's not a problem - while Linux (and Ubuntu) "ecosystem" is
always going to be a much tougher one, when you not only have to think
of a great idea, but also compete later with free and open source
clones, and deal with users not used to paying for software, I think
it's possible to create a small and growing community of developers
working on paid software if we manage to create a stable and well
documented platform.

--
Krzysztof Klimonda <kklimonda at ubuntu.com>