brainstorming for UDS-N - Performance

Kees Cook kees.cook at canonical.com
Mon Oct 4 17:38:25 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 10:28:14AM +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Well then, here's a simple task to start with: We should have a single
> graph showing, for every application installed by default in Ubuntu over
> the past six months, how long that application took each day to show a
> non-splash-screen window after a cold launch.

Is that actually a meaningful measurement? For the desktop team, I would
expect day-to-day operational timing to be more interesting. (e.g. firefox
start-up happens once, but rendering facebook could happen repeatedly.)

> How *would* someone automate that?

Have a tool polling for x clients? Use kvm-autotest's screen content
checker? There a lot of options, I think.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team