brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 1 14:49:02 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 18:01 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday, September 30, 2010 05:22:48 pm Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 15:52, Jorge O. Castro <jorge at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > > You are both correct, what an opportune time to finally get rid of the
> > > insane notion that an operating system needs an IRC client by default!
> > >
> > > (I am totally serious, and flames offlist please. :) )
> >
> > I have to agree with Jorge here.  Outside of my geeky friends and fellow
> > Ubuntu developers, most people don't know what IRC even is.
>
> The only mode of real-time tech support within the Ubuntu community?

IMO, What the LoCo site has done is absolutely neat.
If its only about getting help out for the new users something like this
would lower the barrier a lot :
<http://loco.ubuntu.com/irc/>

All somebody wants is help at *that* moment, no need for a default IRC
client.
Maybe just a link directing to something official like
<http://support.ubuntu.com/irc/> would be sufficient?

--
Cheers,
Vish