brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Mon Oct 4 15:17:52 BST 2010

On Oct 03, 2010, at 07:33 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 03:47:04 pm Allison Randal wrote:
>> The Package Selection and Defaults track is about choosing the
>> best-of-breed packages (applications, libraries, etc), a common task
>> across all editions of Ubuntu. It includes considering the viability
>> of up-and-coming new software, the decline of end-of-life packages,
>> the risks and gains of upgrades and migrations.
>>
>> What's high on your list for this area?
>> Allison
>
>Python 2.7 by default for Python

+1 from me of course.  We wanted to get Python 2.7 as a supported version in
Maverick but couldn't get there, so we talked about flipping the switch as
soon as possible for Natty. (2.7 is available but not supported, and I have
patched source branches and PPAs to make this change.  Scott and Doko both
know about these.)

I am personally planning on spending a significant amount of Natty time on
fixing build and install problems related to 2.7 (e.g. I have fixes for
Subversion in my PPA + source branch and have engaged upstream).

> (and possibly drop Python 2.6 if the
>transition goes well).

-0.  Reading ahead a bit, I agree with Robert that we should have Python
version overlap from LTS to LTS.  Thus I would be in favor of keeping 2.6
support.  This would mean 2.6 supported and 2.7 default until the next LTS
(since there won't be a 2.8).

>I'd like to see Python 2.7 default when the archive opens and then
>assess near feature freeze if we can drop 2.6 support or not.

+1 (for the first half anyway :).

>I'd like to see us support Python3 3.1 and 3.2 with a decision for
>what's default near feature freeze.

+1.  3.2 final is currently scheduled for January 15, 2011, though there has
been some talk about delaying that.

>The Python part of this can't wait until UDS to decide.

Did you mean the Python 2.7 part of this?  As I mentioned I have the changes
ready to go (they may need updating - I haven't looked at them in a few
weeks), but I don't have upload rights.

-Barry