brainstorming for UDS-N - Graphics

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 02:55:29 BST 2010

On Friday, October 01, 2010 05:20:38 pm Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 04:43:27PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 10:57 +1000, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> > In an idea world, whenever I first plug a device I'd get prompted to
> > either:
> > 1) Ignore it
> > 2) Configure it (through gnome-display-properties)
>
> Can you describe a situation where a user would plug something in but
> prefer for it to be ignored?
>
> I'm guessing 99% of the time the user plugged in the device because they
> want to (configure and) use it.

The Display KCM sometimes doesn't do a good job if the projector and laptop
screen are different proportions (which is common).  So when I'm connecting to
a projector instead of a monitor, I use the "Ignore" button and xrandr.
Really the correct fix would be for the KCM to handle different screen
proportions while mirrored by making the wide-screen stretch things wider
(what xrandr does) rather than clipping the right few-hundred-pixels on the
projector (what the KCM does).

--
Mackenzie