FFE: Setting Ubuntu Font As Default

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Oct 1 12:25:28 BST 2010

On Friday, October 01, 2010 06:58:09 am Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On 10/01/2010 03:14 AM, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> >> Agreed.  Don't do it.
> >>
> >> We have these policies because they're good software engineering
> >> practice.  It matters that, for instance, the screenshots in the
> >> documentation actually look like the operating system.
> >>
> >> Scott Ritchie
> >
> > I view this as a valid FFE, otherwise what are FFEs for? (bug fixes
> > are not FFEs) I see this an important and immediately testable change
> > to the branding/identity of Ubuntu; change to the Ubuntu branding
> > after release would look like it shipped incomplete.
> >
> > It is better software engineering to not blindly apply rules, but be
> > smart about how/when they are applied (so sticking to them in most
> > cases).
> >
> > Daniel
>
> The idea isn't to change the branding after release -- that would be a
> bad idea for the same reason doing this so late in the cycle is a bad idea.
>
> The idea is to table it until the next release when we can verify that
> the unintended consequences are manageable.

Since Robbie Williamson is a member of the release team and he approved it,
it's a valid FFe, so from a process perspective it is clean.  I think it's
also clear that when acting as SABDFL, Mark Shuttleworth doesn't actually need
an FFe approval from the release team anyway.  I'd have preferred a different
choice, but there's no question that this change was legitimately made using
the defined Ubuntu structures.

Scott K