ftbfs in subversion related to linker change?

Evan Broder evan at ebroder.net
Fri Nov 19 19:44:44 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2010, at 01:55 AM, Loïc Minier wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Nov 15, 2010, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libfakeroot-sysv.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
>>
>> I see an override of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the line befor the failure;
>> this usually breaks fakeroot
>>
>> You want something like:
>>    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="yourdir:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" yourcommand
>> and that should work
>>
>> I don't think it relates to the toolchain changes.
>>
>> NB: the above is insecure in general purpose shell scripts; if
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH has an empty string in the list, it means current
>> directory and is extremely dangerous; you can do something like:
>>    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="yourdir${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
>> to be secure
>
> Unfortunately this did not seem to fix the problem.
>
> It doesn't appear as though sbuild has any good way to debug build failures.
> One thing that would be nice would be an option to keep the session active so
> you could schroot to it to see what's going on.  In any case, I'm trying some
> other approaches to see what happens at this point to break fakeroot.

Someone (maybe me) should probably write this down somewhere, and I'll
apologize for having not done so myself, but here's an easy way to get
a shell inside your chroot after a build failure:

session=$(schroot -bc natty-amd64)
schroot -rc $session -u root -- apt-get install -y aptitude pbuilder
schroot -rc $session -u root -- /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends
schroot -rc $session -- dpkg-buildpackage -b
schroot -rc $session # spawns a shell inside the chroot

then be sure to run
schroot -ec $session
when you're done.

- Evan