SSH and the Ubuntu Server

Thierry Carrez ttx at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 19 08:23:53 GMT 2010

Clint Byrum wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 23:39 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:34:58PM -0600, Robbie Williamson wrote:
>>> So I see the 1st stage as just installing the minimal server, then we
>>> boot to a login prompt...user logs in and can either do his/her business
>>> as desired or launch the 2nd stage (which they are told about in a 1st
>>> boot motd-type message).
>>
>> The problem is that doing task selection in the second stage, for a CD
>> installer, requires keeping copies of a bunch of packages because it's
>> quite plausible that the user ejected the CD.  The code necessary for
>> this was horrific, and I think the problems with it are fundamental.
>>
>> It's really much better to do the whole installation in one go, IMO.
>
> We weren't even considering using the CD during the 2nd stage. I happen
> to think that trying to use the CD after the installer is done, as
> anything other than a source for a local package mirror, is more trouble
> than it is worth.

I think the term "2-stage" installer is a bit misleading, since there is
no "second stage of the installer" per se. The idea is just to bootstrap
a minimal system and let something else (cloud-init / puppet / tasksel /
whatever) turn that into a usable system. So this is really about
simplifying the one-stage installer and allow the resulting system to
plug into configuration management frameworks easily.

We are trading the convenience of setting up a LAMP server from the CD,
against a simplification of the installer and a more consistent
experience, compatible with real-world deployment use cases. I think
that's worth it and will participate in defining what "Ubuntu Server"
is, be it a cloud image or a netbooted system or an ISO install.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu core developer