Run From Pocket Drive Installer Option?

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 18 23:01:43 GMT 2010

Hi All,

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but one of the most
interesting and valuable features in Ubuntu for me, is the ability to
run an installation entirely from a USB disk. This is also particularly
attractive for encouraging our community to test developer releases and
help us bug reporting, triage, and fixing.

Today the installer has two options:

      * Try Ubuntu
      * Install Ubuntu

I am wondering if we should provide a third option for those who have
booted from a USB disk with persistance switched on: "Run Ubuntu From
Your Pocket Driver" (or some better wording), which will allow you to
use the USB stick as the main disk.

I think this could be a really valuable feature for (a) people trying
Ubuntu in more real-world situations where they set up their email, chat
accounts etc and run it from the USB stick, and (b) help us with
testing.

Is anyone working on this today?

        Jono

--