SSH and the Ubuntu Server

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 18 18:34:58 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 16:22 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:08:47AM -0600, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > We used to have a two-stage installer and it was a nightmare to maintain
> > > for several reasons.  Since we moved to a single-stage installer several
> > > years back, we've burned all the necessary code with fire and enjoyed
> > > it.  Please don't make me go back to that.
> >
> > What if the Server team maintained the 2nd stage?  Then we'd be making
> > life easier for you, right? ;)
>
> Er. :-)
>
> (In seriousness, any good-quality second stage would require some level
> of cooperation from the first stage.  We tried that and it was awful.)

So I see the 1st stage as just installing the minimal server, then we
boot to a login prompt...user logs in and can either do his/her business
as desired or launch the 2nd stage (which they are told about in a 1st
boot motd-type message).

-Robbie

Robbie Williamson                                     robbie at ubuntu.com
Ubuntu                                         robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)