restricting dmesg

Jamie Strandboge jamie at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 16 22:06:52 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 15:38 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 13:16 -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:04:55PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> > > Have we gotten any kind of feedback on the similar changes that were
> > > made to strace?
> >
> > Not a peep that I'm aware of. I am assuming that the verbose errors out
> > of strace, ltrace, and gdb were enough to address it, though maybe there
> > won't be noise until the restriction is in an LTS version.
>
> Well, I find it annoying, but a reasonable default.  Perhaps we could
> have a package "insecure-developer-workstation" that would set all of
> these little debugging nicities back to "1" on startup?  That way I
> wouldn't have to keep up on all of them :)
>
> I'd even have it install the first time you install a "-dev" package,
> but that might be a little extreme.

No please. :)

I may only have a very small handful of -dev packages installed at any
given time since I do most of my actual dev work in a clean schroot. I
would encourage everyone to do this where it makes sense for them, since
then you are guaranteed to have only what is needed and nothing floating
around from previous releases/manual installs/etc.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.ubuntu.com