continuing conversation from UDS-N - Application Review Board

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Tue Nov 16 01:53:59 GMT 2010

On 11/15/2010 02:36 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2010, at 05:27 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> Unless there is some commitment to API stability, this is actively harmful.
>> If you are writing functions to be consumed generally, and not just within
>> your program/module/whatever, then you have to take on some additional
>> responsiblities.  If you don't, then whoever tries to take advantage of your
>> code is in for a world of hurt.

It's safe to assume that these lightweight apps aren't intended to be
used as general-purpose libraries. In fact, it's a requirement of the
ARB process, as libraries are automatically "promoted" to a full REVU
process. I see potential for libraries to start as application-specific
through the ARB, and then grow into something general-purpose that goes
to REVU.

> Sure, but this is the "consenting adults" argument.  The thing is, the
> packages are going to be available in either case, so you're just putting an
> inconvenient sys.path hack in front of anyone who really wants to do it.

The tricky thing is, we're wrapping lightweight apps in an inconvenient
sys.path hack (to make it difficult to get to application-specific
libraries, for security and isolation) AND trying to make it easy for
new developers at the same time. The tools just aren't up to the job yet.

The fortnightly Tech Board meeting is tomorrow, and the ARB is conscious
of the fact that we're already a couple weeks out from UDS, and still
blocking all applications in our queue. So we're submitting this for
discussion in the meeting, with the understanding that we still have
details on specific technologies to sort out, which they might request
to be listed in detail for the next Tech Board meeting, or make a
general decision and delegate the details to the ARB.

Allison