Ubuntu ARM and the linaro kernels

John Rigby john.rigby at linaro.org
Mon Nov 15 15:53:22 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Loïc Minier <loic.minier at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> [...]
>     minor adjustments/fixups before upload; it exists only because
>     jcrigby can't upload and because /ubuntu is restricted to the
>     official Ubuntu Kernel Team
>
>  So what problems / questions are we trying to solve?
>  * security support: Linaro isn't in the business of long-term security
>   support of its trees, however I understand that it wouldn't be a big
>   problem to simply add the *Ubuntu* linux-linaro package and the
>   kernel.ubuntu.com git tree to the list of packages/trees which get
>   security updates from the Ubuntu Security Team, especially if the
>   Ubuntu ARM Team moves to this package/tree as their base for some
>   images
>  * for Linaro, the Ubuntu Sauce stuff doesn't add any much value and is
>   a distraction (causes more merge efforts, might cause extra bugs
>   etc.)
>

>  Is this a fair summary?  Did I miss anything?
>

>  I am not sure I understand the point of contention with the Ubuntu
>  Sauce stuff; is it causing problems to Linaro right now?
>   Linaro GCC is released in source form and then integrated in the
>  Ubuntu gcc-4.x packages which have tons of patches added on top; this
>  is not ideal for Linaro Toolchain WG, but it's part of the process to
>  check whether bugs do apply to the pristine Linaro source, just like
>  you need to test a pristine upstream GCC or Linux when reporting bugs
>  upstream.
>
>  There are definitely things we could do to improve the Ubuntu Sauce:
>  * split this stuff more; e.g.:
>   - packaging goes in one tree (I think this is already split out?)
>   - patches which come from upstream or were acked upstream go into
>     another tree
>   - patches which are Ubuntu specific such as AUFS go into one or
>     multiple separate trees
>  * we could review the current sauce stuff and only merge in features
>   which are really needed for Linaro images and Ubuntu ARM images; aufs
>   doesn't seem to be needed anymore for instance?  Maybe this makes
>   things more complex for little gain though
>  * we could stop merging patches from upstream from Ubuntu, and have
>   them flow in via Linaro instead; again, maybe this makes things more
>   complex for little gain
>

>  My opinion is that the current approach is okay modulo two things:
>  - we should drop one of the two packaging trees; the
>   linaro / jcrigby versus kernel.ubuntu.com split is useless
>  - we could provide pristine kernel builds, built from the Linaro Kernel
>   directly and without any Ubuntu Sauce
>   . in fact these exist already, they just aren't tested and they use a
>     random config: http://hudson.dooz.org/
>   . if we want Linaro Kernel .debs instead of standalone zImage/uImage,
>     we could do something like
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
>

>  Proposed plan:
>  * Oliver/Ricardo to confirm with Ubuntu Security Team whether it's ok
>   to base Ubuntu ARM images on linux-linaro tree as constructed
I can't speak for the Ubuntu ARM folks but I believe their main concern was if
I stopped including Ubuntu Sauce.
>  * John to request upload permissions for linux-linaro only and to
>   request commit rights to ubuntu/ubuntu-$release.git for the linaro
>   branch only
The plan proposed at UDS was for Steve Langasek to take over the roll of
linux-linaro upload sponsor.  He would replace Tim G in this role.  Perhaps
we could try this for one cycle then consider the idea of me uploading
after that.
>  * if someone cares about limiting the Ubuntu Sauce which goes into the
>   linux-linaro Ubuntu package which goes into Linaro images, then that
>   someone ought to start discussion on splitting and limiting the Sauce
>   which goes into the linaro branch with the Ubuntu Kernel Team; I
>   don't think this fundamentally holds up anything though
The easiest way to include Ubuntu Sauce is to include all of it.  It rarely
causes merge conflicts and I can't think of an instance where it has
caused breakage for linux-linaro so I suggest we just keep including it all.
To include a subset would require someone to decide what subset and
that would be extra work.