Ubuntu ARM and the linaro kernels

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at canonical.com
Mon Nov 15 14:53:47 GMT 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 03:05:20AM -0200, Ricardo Salveti wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Ricardo Salveti wrote:
> >> That's understandable. Now the question is why John is maintaining and
> >> packaging a tree that also incorporate the Ubuntu sauce on it?
> >
> > I think that the main reason is that this was much easier to have a
> > packaged initial release by simply piggybacking on the existing Ubuntu
> > infrastructure.  But John's tree and mine are still separate.
>
> Ok, so there's nothing that guarantees that John will continue using
> the same Ubuntu infrastructure and sauce in the future.

I want to put a firm statement in here that Linaro are committed to
supporting Ubuntu on ARM through our kernel work, and that if it's
necessary for us to support the kernel maintenance process then we will
do it -- so there is a firm guarantee from me that we'll always be open
to working out what outputs you need.

I'd like to talk over the specific case of SAUCE patches, because I'm
not entirely sure a) how much effort maintaining them is required and b)
if we need to carry the Intel (and other arches) specific bits of SAUCE
as well.

I'm getting the curious feeling that the above isn't clear to the people
on this thread, so hopefully this is a step towards clarity.
--
Christian Robottom Reis   | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko
Canonical Ltd.            | [+55 16] 9112 6430 | http://async.com.br/~kiko