Ubuntu ARM and the linaro kernels

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 8 15:12:28 GMT 2010

hi,

at UDS we discussed the possibility of using linaro kernels for some of
the ubuntu ARM flavours (currently for omap3 images but there might be
more to come) where we seem to have duplicated efforts in kernel team
and linaro ...

there were some open questions that require further discussion with a
wider audience which i'd like to bring up in this mail:

* linaro kernels used in ubuntu ARM would need to move to the supported
package set (main) which makes them fall under all freeze restrictions
the kernel team sets for ubuntu (only SRUs post kernel freeze, patches
and changes all need to go through the ubuntu-kernel mailing list etc)

* configuration changes in the linaro kernels would have to happen to
match the ubuntu distro kernel configs in all places where they do not
match yet (this also implies that ubuntu sauce needs to be added to the
linaro kernels for making all distro features available)

* someone has to commit to do security support for these kernels to
match the 18 months security support we provide for ubuntu images (can
the ubuntu kernel team and the ubuntu security team commit to that ?)

if not all of the above bulletpoints (please shout if i missed any that
are obvious) can be fulfulled we can not take linaro kernels for our
images and another solution needs to be found.

ciao
	oli