Conffiles and configuration management systems

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Thu May 6 05:01:21 BST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 02:47:39PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2010, Soren Hansen wrote:
> > Add a capability to dpkg to let tools like puppet take over this conffile
> > merging process. Or, the poor man's alternative: add a capability to
> > dpkg to ignore specific conffiles.
>
>  This sounds great!  When I read your proposal, I came up with another
>  use case for delegating the conffile merging stuff: multiple instances
>  of the same service.  I think it would be a step in the right direction
>  to make dpkg more flexible with respect to conffile handling.  That
>  said, things like ucf got a quite a lot of critics, not sure whether it
>  was because of its actual implementation or because it was just because
>  "it should be done in dpkg".

Given that most conffiles are text files and that the problem we're looking at
is merging changes between different versions from different sources, all of
this starts to smell like a good use case for a VCS (see etckeeper):

 * dpkg commits to a branch
 * puppet commits to the same (or another) branch
 * the admin is able to access a history of the configuration file as well
   as checking if a file has changed (and what has changed).

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com