gnupg missing in build-essential

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 29 08:21:27 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 08:13:50AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Package: build-essential
> Version: 11.5

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > >  Actually I'm not sure the FTBFS report of that one is correct; it
> > >  seemed to be missing gpg, but gnupg is Build-Essential: yes; I uploaded
> > >  a package build-deping on gnupg explicitly because I thought this was a
> > >  problem with the Launchpad chroots, but actually these *do* include
> > >  gpg, I guess Lucas' chroots were missing it.  Latest upload built fine.

> > The package has a Build-Essential: yes field in the Packages file, but isn't
> > the definition of build-essential "the set of packages that
> > 'build-essential' depends on"?  I have no idea what sets or honors a
> > Build-Essential: yes field in Packages.

> > Since you've uploaded a workaround there's no need to worry about the
> > package being removed now, but I wonder if we shouldn't be fixing this in
> > the build-essential package rather than expecting lucas's rebuilds to honor
> > what appears to be a non-standard field.

> Those fields are added by Debian's ftpmasters by way of their extra
> override file:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/indices/override.sid.extra.main.gz

> debootstrap in buildd mode honors that field.

> That disparity is still undesired IMO, filing a bug against
> build-essential for this.

gnupg isn't build-essential in Debian and not marked as such; what disparity
are you hoping to correct with this bug report against the Debian package?

(If anything, it appears the Debian jetring package has a missing
build-dependency on gnupg that has been overlooked because the package is
arch: all.)