Call For Testing: pm-utils-powersave-policy

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 19 01:00:54 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:59:58AM -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> Hi Chase, I installed your ppa and gave it a go.  Things behaved pretty
> well, although I'm not 100% sure how to verify it's working as you
> expect.  Log attached if you're interested.

I checked out your log, but I don't see entries for all the scripts.
There should be an entry for each script, which basically handle each
of the power saving issues I listed previously. My guess is that the
powersave-policy-dirty-writeback failed. I'll look into modifying
pm-utils so it's more verbose about a script dying. It also was
written originally for suspend/resume I think, so it's idea of
quitting early when a script fails may need to be reworked for power
saving tasks.

Can you try running "bash -x
/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/powersave-policy-dirty-writeback" to see if
you get any errors? If not, then there may be a bashism that isn't
working right in dash (which doesn't have -x unfortunately).

>> few times to ensure the results are consistent. In the output you
>> should find a "Power usage (ACPI estimate)" wattage that describes how
>> much energy is used by the system.
>
> I don't see a line like that, but I do see this:
>
>    no ACPI power usage estimate available

Make sure to unplug your laptop before running the test. I don't know
for sure, but I'm guessing it's measuring battery drain, which won't
work if you have it plugged in.

-- Chase