Foundations Team Weekly Summary, 2010-03-01
steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 3 23:50:29 GMT 2010
=== Scott James Remnant ===
* In bed with Flu monday/tuesday :-(
* Fixed the rsyslog 100% CPU issue; due to the design of rsyslogd it wasn't possible to have it refuse to drop permissions, instead I had to make it disable the klog plugin if a zero-byte read() returned -EPERM
* Patched Upstart to mount /proc and /sys itself on boot, solving all the annoying issues where things like mountall and ureadahead need it
* usb-modeswitch discussion
* Helping OEM team out with issues related to Plymouth
* Been working on Plymouth's VT issues, and trying to understand the complex interplay between the X server and Plymouth (which both use KD_GRAPHICS and VT_PROCESS). I understand now, and it's a SMOP (which I'm going to have to do)
=== Evan Dandrea ===
* Short week; travel on Monday and Tuesday morning from Pycon.
* Fixed LP: #527932, #524827, #526581, and some more ubiquity bugs.
* More work on new installer design automatic partitioner widgets.
* Moved the slideshow translation code to po4a as html2po is no longer provided in Debian.
* Changed the packaging of the slideshow so that each installer slideshow package provides ubiquity-slideshow and also conflicts and replaces on it, allowing only one installer slideshow package installed at once. Moved all slideshow files to /usr/share/ubiquity-slideshow and updated ubiquity to reflect this. This allows derivatives to create their own slideshows without us having to hard code their paths in ubiquity.
* Updated slideshow translations, pruned a suspicious URL (LP: #528465), released a new slideshow package, and updated all interested parties on the aforementioned changes.
=== Colin Watson ===
* Another fix for gfxboot handling of Hebrew (#212491).
* Merged Cody's language selector for ubiquity-greeter-gtk, and dealt with integration.
* Switched to automatic LP git import of packages-arch-specific.
* Did most of the migration to parted 2.1. One or two pieces remain.
* Fixed up grub2 integration in memtest86+ (#435153).
* Fixed desktop icon handling in example-content (#458250).
* Tackled most of #526422 ("Grub installer asks too many questions to the user", actually a messy image assembly problem).
* Tried to stop update-notifier from popping up during the live session. I think I mostly managed it, although Dave Morley still reports some problems.
* Fixed corrupted text display in d-i (#526391).
* Various other bits of installer bug firefighting for alpha-3, e.g. migration-assistant ordering (#524993), a regression from the plugin migration (#524169), a crash on non-resizable partitions (#527057), and some KDE frontend fixes (#527457, #527468).
* TB meeting.
* Merged: debhelper
=== James Westby ===
==== Distributed Development ====
* More debugging of failures from the importer. Lots more packages that people care about are now imported.
* Fixed a couple of bugs in bzr-builddeb.
* Wrote some specs for LP developers to review concerning bzr-builder recipes that will allow them to implement something good based on them in LP. Positive feedback on my first drafts from them.
==== Other ====
* Archive admin duty
=== Michael Vogt ===
==== software-center ====
* review/merge lp:~gary-lasker/software-center/lp496058 (many thanks!)
* debug/fix aptdaemon backend interaction
* fix update progress reporting (#514861)
* setup doc translation infrastrcutre based on po4a (#439353)
* work on a11y (#526384)
* ubuntu-sso research
* add a bunch of rnr-server tests
* use SlugFields more in rnr-server
* add test for moderation feature
* work on package verification in reviews django app
* add report_abuse code and write tests for it
* work on moderation code in the rnr-server
* discuss with nzmm clever ways to overcome the treeview slowness
* fix crash in AnimatedImage
* work on lp:~mvo/s-c/fastapp
* atk.Component stub implementation
* report-inappropriate client feature
* make report-abuse work (client + server)
==== update-manager ====
* automatically create diff on conffile prompt
* fail the test if conffile prompts are found
* Work on auto-upgrader tester setup on pommerac
* fix crash when /home is not present
* fixes: #463506, #518856, fix in component-inconsitency detection
==== alpha-3 ====
* Run app-install-data/command-not-found data extraction
* Command-not-found data update/upload
* App-install-data update
* Karmic->lucid manual testing - ask if that can moved to QA
==== misc ====
* Synaptic merges (from jibell)
* fix backgrounding problem (#486222)
==== sponsoring ====
* Review ubumirror changes
=== Barry Warsaw ===
This week, after returning from Pycon, I worked on the ratings and reviews Django server for Software Center. I also worked on PEP 3147 (PYC Repository Directories) which is almost ready for BDFL pronouncement, followed by implementation work. I also released Python 2.6.5rc1, with a final release slated for March 15.
=== Matthias Klose ===
* PyCon sprints, will followup later
* llvm/clang updates, will follow up with upstream updates until the 2.7 release after getting a freeze exception.
* eglibc, gdb, oprofile, newlib merges
* GCC update for ARM.
=== Gary Lasker ===
* Concentrated on bug fixes/bug triage for software-center this week
* Fixed alpha-3 targeted bugs LP: #496058 and LP: #523420
* Fixed ten or so other bugs, a couple with many duplicates
* OEM tasks
* OEM, Foundations team weekly meetings
* Next week: Finish up back/forward navigation feature, continue bug work
=== Steve Langasek ===
==== Release management ===
* alpha 3
* metapackage, d-i uploads
==== Specs ====
* finish UbuntuSpec:foundations-lucid-laptop-mode-tools-integration
==== Packages ====
* nfs-utils: start on new 'mounting' signal instead of obsolete 'mount' signal;
but this seems to have gone wrong and may need reverted
* slang2: drop a non-main build-dep
* samba: transition to upstart to finally fix Bug:523868
* liblog-log4perl-perl: drop unneeded build-deps from universe, so this can be MIRed easily
* ifupdown: SRU to close out Bug:497299
* initramfs-tools: fix hibernate support (Bug:499940)
==== Misc ====
* archive admin duties
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek at ubuntu.com vorlon at debian.org
More information about the ubuntu-devel