btrfs installations ready for testing

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 21 13:38:04 BST 2010

With current daily builds of Maverick, you should be able to perform
installations with a btrfs root filesystem.  This is still NOT
RECOMMENDED FOR PRODUCTION USE and MAY EAT YOUR DATA, but we're making
the option available by way of manual partitioning only so that we can
experiment with btrfs more easily, contribute fixes to various tools as
needed (as we've already done with grub2 in order to at least get this
minimal level of support in place), and the like, and hopefully to
encourage some more people to get involved in its development.

You cannot yet use btrfs for /boot (although we're working on this), so
you'll need to create an ext3 or similar /boot filesystem.  I assume
anyone able to use an experimental filesystem can cope with doing that
in the installer's manual partitioner.

Please file bugs as you encounter them!  I expect that ext4 will remain
the default filesystem for Maverick, but btrfs is doing a lot of things
that are interesting for us down the line, so the sooner we can help to
iron out problems with it the better.

Cheers,