Call For Testing: Karmic Firefox users (or willing to install Karmic in a VM)

Ara Pulido ara at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 17 12:40:04 BST 2010

We need Karmic users to test our latest Firefox Upgrade!

*Background*
As I wrote in a previous email[1], Firefox 3.0 and xulrunner 1.9 are now
unsupported by Mozilla. We are going to release Firefox 3.6.4 as a minor
update to the 3.6 series in Lucid. This will also be rolled out to
Hardy, Jaunty and Karmic (along with xulrunner 1.9.2.4). The update for
Lucid is quite trivial, but the update in Hardy, Jaunty and Karmic is
not quite as simple. As part of the upgrade, we are also releasing a set
of langpacks.

Before releasing these updates to the public, we need testing in
Firefox, the extensions in the archive and distributions upgrades after
those updates. We have published all these packages in a PPA [2] and we
will track test results before moving anything to the archive. If you
are using Firefox localised in your local language, please, make sure
that the langpacks didn't break Firefox and that the translations are OK.

We now need people running *Karmic* (Jaunty will see a similar call for
testing in the following days) in bare metal or a virtual machine. If
you are willing to help, you can follow the instructions below:

 1. Add the Mozilla Security PPA to your software sources

 You need to manually edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and add the
following lines:

 deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu karmic
main
 deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu
karmic main

 After saving the file, you have to run:

 sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 7EBC211F
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

 2. You have to have an account in our tracking system. Go to
http://mozilla.qa.ubuntu.com and click on "Log In" and "Create New Account"

 3. To know what to test and how to report back, please, read our
instructions in our testing wiki:

   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Firefox3.6.4Upgrade

Also, we have added a new testcase "XulRunner Applications" aiming to
test that the applications using xulrunner keep working correctly after
the update. These applications need to be tested both in Hardy and
Karmic. A list of these applications can be found in the wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Lucid/FirefoxNewSupportModel/xulrunner-list

Thanks!
Ara.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2010-June/030811.html