New software created for Ubuntu

Keith Curtis keithcu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:45:13 BST 2010

Hello all:

> I would not want to see Ubuntu developers subjected to this, nor can they
> > be expected to do their work twice.
>
> Packaging it for Debian means packaging it for Ubuntu too. So it's not
> twice the work (but it's still a bit more work).

There is an important point here that I think is being glossed over. If
someone hands you a violin, it will be clumsy in your hands unless you know
how to play one. It is the same with a patch if you have not seen it before.
That is why patches should be pushed to both trees as much as possible.

Now there are slightly different build requirements and such that exist
between the two distros. But I see that as the cost of doing business, and
something that can change over time to hopefully get smaller.

Someone mentioned branding earlier. De-branding can be some work, sort of
like fixing software to enable it for localization. In general if things are
done in Debian first, the problems will be found faster and easier to fix.

Linux gets better one patch at a time, so it is important that we not create
a situation where people in different teams are re-learning and re-doing
each other's work. I believe the best way for Ubuntu to get faster world
domination is to add more package maintainers working in "mixed teams" who
can shepherd the bugs, apply new patches, etc. One of Debian's best assets
is its large team of people who can mentor others in many areas. Ubuntu
should be working to harness that, giving them with 100 new DDs a year. That
mass will help fix Ubuntu's backlog of bugs.

-Keith