EtherPad

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 9 18:09:46 BST 2010

On 9 June 2010 11:52, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> http://etherpad.org/
>
> This seems like a potentially useful tool for the Ubuntu community,
> especially at UDS time.  It's a bit more Google Docs than Gobby, being
> browser-based, but is free software and seems worth exploring as an
> alternative.  Has anyone tried it?  What was your experience?
>
> There are some public installations already available which you can
> experiment with.
>
> --
>  - mdz

What about google wave?

GSoC students are using it effectively. And it can be used as mailing
list (threaded comments/replies), document creation with svg diagrams
(ala google docs) and various planning tools e.g. maps & opinion
polls.

And it can withstand heavy loads and be used for real life chat as
well so for uds it can replace IRC, gobby & whiteboard and can be used
as meeting chat and meeting minutes =)

(The best thing is that you can have fist-post to be meeting agenda /
reports and for lightning round everyone can reply simultaneously and
comment/edit each other words. Then the whole wave can be plaid back
and edited to form meeting minutes =) if fact the whole meeting can
turn in just collaborative minutes editing & commenting)

I'm assuming for things like uds waves will be public, for some other
things you can invite participants by email.

There is nice google groups integration that you just need to invite a
single mailing list address to get all people from it.

Porting ubuttubot to google wave would be awesome to talk to launchpad
& e.g. invite correct people as per launchpad team membership and pull
& expand factoroids e.g. bug #1.

Canonical already uses google calendar and wave can be enabled for
google domains to try out =) plus you will get your own wave id's.