unreliable USB connections

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Sun Jan 24 07:58:23 GMT 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Stefan Bader wrote:

> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > I'm getting reports of USB devices not reliably being recognised when
> > plugged in by the system in Karmic.  Has anyone seen this?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> I think I've seen one or two bug reports (though not got around to get to them
> debugged). Never seen something like this on machines I could lay my hands on.

I often suspect power issues for USB drives that have no separate power connection.

There is also an unresolved 3 year (!!) old bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/88746
that I encounter still on my quite recent desktop hardware, with the latest kernels.

I have documented my suspicions and workarounds among the nearly 600 comments on that bug.

I am willing to try things out on my hardware for any developer that cannot
reproduce the bug on their hardware.

Cheers,    Andy!