unreliable USB connections

Steven Harms thisdyingdream at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 00:41:22 GMT 2010

I have a few thousand linux boxes, and I have about ~25 of them that
mysteriously lose their USB devices.  This is below the hal / udev
level though, as they dont even show through 'lsusb' etc.  The issue
is sporadic and I attribute it to motherboard issues with heat /
static electricity.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 23 January 2010 12:09:16 am Chris Coulson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 15:57 +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> > I'm getting reports of USB devices not reliably being recognised when
>> > plugged in by the system in Karmic.  Has anyone seen this?
>> >
>> > Jonathan
>>
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> Are the devices actually not being recognised reliably, or just not
>> auto-mounting reliably? Is this specific to GNOME or KDE, or is it
>> common across all desktop environments? Have you got any specific
>> examples?
>
> I have one drive which, when I plug it in and turn it on, mount it normally,
> reboot (without un-mounting) is almost *never* recognized. I have to unplug it
> and plug it back in every time I can remember.
>
> It doesn't matter whether it is kde or gnome afaik, but I haven't tested it
> that much. Until now it was just an annoying attribute of one of my many
> external HDs. I've never had this problem with this disk on Win or Mac.
>
> --
> Ken

GPG Key ID: C92EF367 / 1428 FE8E 1E07 DDA8 EFD7 195F DCCD F5B3 C92E F367

WWW: http://www.sharms.org/blog