New texlive uninstallable

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 24 10:32:10 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> This is because texlive-base depends on luatex which is in Universe.
> I took a quick look and it didn't seem obvious to me if it was better
> to split the package or promote luatex.  I'm leaving that to someone
> more familiar with the packages, but in the mean time, FYI.

 With my MIR hat on, I had a look at the package, and even if it's not
 perfect I think the need to include it in main is stronger than the
 issues I found; here are my notes:
 - FTBFS on armel only; segfault while running ./configure; I've given
   this back in case it's a buildd issue, otherwise this needs to be
   looked into
 - no security advisories, uses system libs, notably poppler and in
   particular the unstable API/ABI of poppler; some not too nice patches
   have accumulated in the package to deal with various poppler
   versions, but since some are from Ubuntu it seems we're used to
   handling this issue already (but probably happened in another package
   until now)
 - Debian maintenance is fine; Ubuntu TeX and Debian TeX Maintainers are
   subscribed to texlive-base, but not to luxtex; I sent a note to
   suggest subscribing to luatex as well; there is an important upgrade
   bug reported in Launchpad though which should get adressed (not a
   problem for buildds though)

 So this can be promoted now if it breaks builds.

--
Loïc Minier