unreliable USB connections

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Jan 22 23:08:58 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 03:57:56PM +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> I'm getting reports of USB devices not reliably being recognised when
> plugged in by the system in Karmic.  Has anyone seen this?

There have been reports against linux of problems recognizing USB
devices going way back.  There seem to be several patterns:

  * Not recognized on boot, but unplug/replug and then it works

  * Works initially, then after suspend/resume stops working

  * Works initially in bios and grub, but once graphical mode kicks in,
    no more keyboard.

  * Works if present during boot, but if you plug it in post-boot it
    doesn't detect.

  * Keyboard or mouse *mostly* work, but certain keys either don't work,
    or generate the wrong events, or repeat endlessly.

  * Bluetooth is involved

Bryce