Future of xulrunner

Scott Kitterman ubuntul at kitterman.com
Fri Jan 22 05:55:49 GMT 2010

It's just been pointed out to me that one of the possible implications of
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-new-firefox-
support-model is that Ubuntu would ship xulrunner in Universe to support
rdepends that we don't want to remove.

The history of xulrunner in Universe is very poor in terms of maintenance and
security support.  An LTS release is not the time for this.  I think it either
needs to be in Main or removed.  This will have significant implications as
there are rdepends that get a lot of use:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/xulrunner-list

Given that list and Mozillas plan for a new continuous release process, there
isn't an easy answer.  My experience with supporting clamav and the libclamav
rdepends is that forward porting apps to the newer API as Firefox evolves will
be easier than trying to backport a never ending stream of security fixes from
a code base that is increasingly distant from what we are trying to support.

Discuss ....

Scott K