ubuntu-server meeting minutes from 2010-01-13

Scott Moser scott.moser at canonical.com
Thu Jan 14 01:03:33 GMT 2010

Hello All,

Here are the minutes of this week's meeting. They can also be found
online with the irc logs from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/

== Agenda ==
 * Review ACTION points from previous meeting (jib)
 * Alpha2 milestone (ttx)
   * Alpha2 blueprints status
   * [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs?field.milestone=21444|Alpha2-targeted]] bugs status
   * ISO testing
 * Alpha3 subcycle planning (jib)
 * [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-papercuts|server-lucid-papercuts]] (ttx)
   * Discuss nomination mechanism
 * [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-apport-hooks|server-lucid-apport-hooks]] (ttx)
   * Community input & volunteers
 * Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs: [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html]] (ttx)
 * Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (soren)
 * Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
   * Bug Bug:494565
 * Weekly SRU review: [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#SRU%20weekly%20review]] (mathiaz)
 * Using bzr for package maintenance (zul)
 * Open Discussion
 * Agree on next meeting date and time

== Minutes ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
 * '''[ACTION]''' ScottMoser to look at getting Karmic images refreshed.
   EricHammond did test runs on the recent karmic dailies.

=== Alpha2 milestone ===
 * Reviewed Status of work items targted to milestone
 * jib is working with IS on getting central hardware for testing.  This
   wont be done for alpha2.  work item deferred.
 * '''[ACTION]''' Mathiaz to send out AWS Client lib RFC
 * '''[ACTION]''': ttx to coordinate alpha ISO testing.

=== Alpha3 subcycle planning (jib) ===
 * We are collecting feedback for alpha 3 planning.  The list of
   candidates can be seen
   [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/~jib/+specs?role=approver|here]] .
   Preleminary workitems list can be seen at

=== Community Driven Blueprints (jib) ===
==== server-lucid-cluster-stack ====
 * ivoks has made good progress on update server-lucid-cluster-stack
   with beta quality packages available, and on rack for alpha3.
 * ivoks gave some thoughts on the red hat cluster suite in ubuntu .
   ivoks suggested that pacemaker is what should be pushed for lucid,
   and said "i wouldn't mind demoting rhcs to universe, even though we
   don't get pacemaker in main"

==== server-lucid-asterisk-integration ====
 * items has been targeted to alpha3
 * stgraber expects to have new dahdi packages and MIR ready for alpha3
 * jmdault will update work itesm

=== Alpha3 blueprints that request community feedback ===
==== server-lucid-papercuts ====
 * ttx described the papercuts nominatoin mechanism, the nominiation
   mechanism chosen was 'project' as opposed to 'tag'
 * '''[ACTION]''' ttx for papercuts: discuss acceptance criteria,
   project publicity plan
 * '''[ACTION]''' Mathiaz to publish papercuts & apport efforts in our
   blog/community channels

==== server-lucid-apport-hooks ====
 * zull will drive this item, and we'll talk about this next meeting.

=== Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs ===
 * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html|canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html]]
 * action zul/kirkland in trimming their list

=== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (soren) ===
 * We need help to get through the list of ISOs to test
 * '''[ACTION]''' mathias to publish request for iso testing in our
   regular blog/community channels
 * soren pointed out that some of the test cases are slightly outdated
   or not complete.  We should get these updated.  Please update as you
   go through.
 * soren is running automated tests of the default install, the bind9
   test case, the lamp test caes, and the mail test case on i386 and

=== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ===
 * Bug:494565 is on jjohansen's list for next week.
 * kernel was frozen on friday and most changes were in thursday
 * [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-other-cloud-providers|server-lucid-other-cloud-providers]]
   is targetted for alpha3, there could be kernel issues running on
   rackspace's environment

=== server-lucid-aws-client-libraries ===
 * jib added the perl modlues to the wiki, nijaba recomments tarzan for
 * perl/python/php packages will be targeted for alpha3.  other
   languages likely out unless esily packagable or community efforts

=== Weekly SRU review ===
 * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ubuntu-server-team/fixedbugs.ubuntu-server.latest.html|fixedbugs.ubuntu-server.latest.html]]
 * Bug:379329 is only one nominated for this week.
 * Bug:462749 accepted for karmic

=== Using bzr for package maintenance (zul) ===
 * [[DistributedDevelopment/Documentation]]
 * mathiaz responded to smoser's question, suggesting that after your
   "done" with a single fix branch you can mark it merged in the
   launchpad UI.  That will then have it not shown on your default list,
   but is possibly better than deleting it.
 * zul (and others) want to encourage people more to use bzr branches.

=== Open Discussion ===
 * mail-stack blueprint was formally re-assigned to ivoks (from ScotK).
   ivoks suggests that all except debconf integration should be doable
   for alpha3.  If it can't be handled there, it would need a
 * FeatureFreeze Exception.

More information about the ubuntu-devel mailing list