Proposing MIR process simplification

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 4 20:19:14 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:41:21PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:

> both from a reporter's and from a reviewer's point of view my
> perception is that the MIR process involves too much needless
> bureaucracy. What we really want is reporters to go through the
> checklist and discuss the violations of the MIR requirement standards
> in the bug report, not write lengthy wiki pages with boilerplate text
> (especially not for trivial packages like perl bindings).

> So I propose to drop the wiki page reports entirely and just use MIR
> bugs, and discuss the package problems there (as we already do) and
> reduce a MIR to the rationale and a confirmation

>   I checked UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements and those were the problems:
>     - ...

> or

>   I checked that the package meets the UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements.

> I prepared a new process documentation at

>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionProcess/Proposed

> Once it's agreed upon and moves to MainInclusionProcess, the wiki
> template [1] should be dropped entirely. I just edited the requirement
> checklist [2] to be up to date wrt. [1].

> What do you think? Feedback from u-devel@ (in particular from people
> who often write MIRs) is appreciated!

I see that this has been announced now, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway
- I've actually come to find the wiki drafting useful because there's a
template for the MIR wiki page and there's no template for writing the bug
report, so for me MIR writing is mostly in-place editing of a checklist...
so I find the wiki template to be a very useful framework.

I suppose if I find that the new process is slowing me down, I can always
continue using the MIR template as an exercise? :)