Proposing MIR process simplification

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 4 11:41:21 GMT 2010

Hello MIR team,

both from a reporter's and from a reviewer's point of view my
perception is that the MIR process involves too much needless
bureaucracy. What we really want is reporters to go through the
checklist and discuss the violations of the MIR requirement standards
in the bug report, not write lengthy wiki pages with boilerplate text
(especially not for trivial packages like perl bindings).

So I propose to drop the wiki page reports entirely and just use MIR
bugs, and discuss the package problems there (as we already do) and
reduce a MIR to the rationale and a confirmation

  I checked UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements and those were the problems:
    - ...

or

  I checked that the package meets the UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements.

I prepared a new process documentation at

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionProcess/Proposed

Once it's agreed upon and moves to MainInclusionProcess, the wiki
template [1] should be dropped entirely. I just edited the requirement
checklist [2] to be up to date wrt. [1].

What do you think? Feedback from u-devel@ (in particular from people
who often write MIRs) is appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin