Compatibility between Ubuntu and GNOME developer strategies

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 17:22:42 GMT 2010

Hi Rick,

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 07:55 -0800, Rick Spencer wrote:
[...]
> Quickly uses abstract commands like "package", "release", etc...
> specifically so that those commands can be implemented per distribution.
> So the user could surf across distros, and use the same command set, but
> get distro specific behaviors. For example, on some distros "package"
> would produce a .deb, and on some distros an .rpm. I would be delighted
> to see Quickly templates for other distros.
>
> Quickly has an API, so it should be easy to integrate it with Anjuta or
> any other IDE. That combined with distro specific Quickly templates
> could provide a consistent developer experience across distros.

This sounds great. Do you know if anyone has been working on Quickly
support for other distros? If not, how much work do you think it would
take to get it working on, say, Fedora?

Also, does Quickly make strong assumptions about the development
environment (i.e. PyGTK), or would it be easy to extend to other
languages (JavaScript, for instance)?

[...]
> The Ubuntu community is working on a project called the Ubuntu
> Developers Manual. This will, of course, be licenses so that it can be a
> shared resource across distros and also be enhanced to have distro
> specific tweaks.

I hadn't heard about this - who's working on it? It seems to me that
there could be a great deal of overlap with the stuff that's happening
in GNOME at the moment. It might be more fruitful to work together on
just the one set of documentation, but that does rather depend on what
the aim and content of the Ubuntu developers manual is.

Thanks,

Phil
--
Phil Bull